Friday, August 28, 2009

The Cat Came Back



Well, last weekend was quite a trauma for the Zehmer family.

Thursday night our little cross-eyed kitty named Carrot came home as usual and slept in the garage. We like to keep him from roaming around at night because he seems to get into all sorts of trouble.

Friday morning, I had to look and look for him. He was laying down. Something was obviously not right with him. Friday was a big day for us, because we had to take all three girls to school orientation. In the afternoon, when we returned, I inadvertantly opened up the garage door and he ran out. He did not come home that evening.

Saturday morning, I got up early and began looking in all the usual hiding places. I found him under the deck of a neighbor's house. He looked like he had not moved since the day before. He looked even sicker. I was able to drag him out from under the deck. As I was carrying him home, he looked at me in the eyes....and then squirmed out of my hands and ran away. We spent the rest of the day looking for him to no avail.

I am sure most people are aware that when cats are sick they often dissappear to die. Well, I was convinced this was exactly what was going to happen. By Saturday night, he still had not returned, and there were many tears in the house from everyone except my wife. (She tells me she wasn't convinced he wasn't coming back. I was.)

Sunday came, and we kept looking outside. But no Carrot. I was resigned to the truth. But Carrot wasn't. About 10 p.m. I opened the back door one more time, and guess who was there? Cute little kitty. Rejoicing commenced from all corners!

He ate a little and drank a little water, but still seemed sick. We took him to the vet the next day. He was running a little fever and received his favorite - a shot! Now a week after the drama, he is doing well.

So one life down, eight to go. We are glad he's back.

"The Cat came back the very next day; The Cat came back...we thought he was a goner, but the Cat came back; he just couldn't stay away." - John Paul Walters (As I learned it!)

3 comments:

Stormpaw (Madi) said...

Aww. Carrot is soo cute!

kk said...

Carrot shouldn't scare us like that again! I luv him so much!

Maddie said...

Aww,I remember! I cried and cried and cried, but cutie came back!